Club History – Queens Cricket Club

Club History

Queens Cricket Club draws its name from the Queens Hotel (now known as the Courthouse Hotel) on the corner of Nerang and Davenport Streets in Southport. What started as a social outing for the Hotel’s patrons, playing its first match in 1951 against the Ulster Hotel in Ipswich became a fully-fledged Social Cricket Club in 1953.

The popularity of the club grew and in 1960 the club held its first annual dinner. This started a tradition that has lasted 63 years and counting. The club grew rapidly but it has never lost its social roots, it has always and will always cherish the great relationship we have between our best 1st Grade players and the worst 5th grader.

1966 saw the Queens Cricket Club name enter the Gold Coast District cricket competition for the first time, competing in lower grades initially and then moving into the 1st grade competition, where it has competed ever since. On the playing front, 1984-85 saw the club win the GCDCA first grade competition for the first time under the Captaincy of sometime Queensland Sheffield Shield representative and now Test Umpire Bruce Oxenford. The club has grown markedly over the years and now competes in Cricket Gold Coast Competitions from 1st to 5th grade and in all junior divisions. With 7 first grade premierships’ under its belt, a measure of the nature of the club is that in 1984-85 the club won all 4 grades in the GCDCA and then in 2000-11 we won 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade in the one year – Queens has always been all-for-one and one-for-all. We enter the 2016-17 season as current 1st grade premiers and is now ready to begin a dynasty.

In the late 1960’s the club started playing at Angove Oval at Southport but still used the Queens Hotel as its social base. In the 1970’s the rear section of the current clubhouse was built at Angove Park. We have been here ever since and love it. Not only are we tucked away, but right in the middle of our local community.

The clubhouse has grown over the years, with the front section and then the verandah added in the late 80’s (thanks to Club Benefactor John Blair) and finally dressing sheds and Groundsman’s storage were added in 2000. New training nets and lights for night training were also added at that time.

Queens has been blessed with a stable management. Greg Chaplin has been in various capacity’s about the club for 40 years and has just completed his 26th year as President. He was awarded the Australian Sports Medal for his services in 2000. Under his guidance the club is in the most sound financial position of any club on the Gold Coast – Thanks Chappo! Until recently Jonathan Smith has been Secretary for 18 years and Blair Kite Treasurer for 9 – we don’t believe in fixing things that aren’t broke!

Welcome to Queens. A club with a proud tradition and a great future! Go the Centaurs!